Saturday, May 14, 2011

2nd attempt at tying some flies

Even though my flyfishing started in 1977 or so on the haw river my Fly tying has just begun with gusto in 2011.
Over the years my main flies,streamers, terrestials and others has been usually a yellow popper with an ant trailer for bream and a wooly bug. For Trout it has been nymphs, and ants. Also for bream and other freshwater fish I sometimes use a mickey finn streamer. My flyboxes have umpteen numbers of flies and other stuff  but the main ones I use are the Ants, wooly bugs, mickey finns, pt nymphs and yellow poppers. So, after tying a few poppers and ants I figured my 2nd try at fly tying would be the good ole wooly bug.
So, off to see Jim at the GOPC and he was  there and as always,  ready to help. He gave me every thing I needed to tie an Olive wooly bug and I bought a few more items..

Here is my first attempt at a wooly bug...I had meant to put the bead on the hook but forgot!,  so I had to make my first one with the wired wrapped around the hook as i did not want to start over.


                                                                 1st wooly bug



My next one would be a another black ant.



I forgot the name of the next 2  but Jim showed me an example of each of these.




I think the next 2 I may try are the Gorilla Glue ant and the Mickey Finn....

Hopefully these will catch some fish

Mack 

3 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Heck yeah, all of them will catch fish.

Mack said...

Thanks Kev, I hope to find out real soon how they will work...Mack

Nat's Dad said...

Don't quit your day job.