Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Jordan Lake Fishing and Citation fish caught 6/8/13

My passion is river fishing and with all the rain that meant either pond fishing Saturday am or Lake fishing as all the rivers I usually fish were way too high.  My son wanted to go so with all this rain I decided to take him to a spot at Jordan Lake where with these kind of conditions I was faily sure we could catch some fish along the riprap given the weather and especially the way the wind was blowing pushing shad up against the riprap. We arrived at daylight and we proceeded to catch probably 20 largemouth up to right at 4 lbs, most on Rat-L-Trap, 4 or 5 white bass most on rat l trap , 4 or 5 black crappie mainly on mini trap and maybe 4 or 5 channel cats up to 4 lbs on shad. My son was wearing me out to begin with but towards the end I gained on him and came close to his success.

Oh, and we caught 1 Citation  size fish. I was reluntanct to post this until I heard back from my fisheries Bioligist friend whom works at Auburn University as usually I am fairly confident in species identification but this one I was 90-95 percent sure on just not 100 percent sure. He responded back that he was confident that the fish I caught was indeed a white perch...no! not a white perch. what were yall expecting? a big fat largemouth of smallie???

 I'll take a citation perch any day. 12" is citation size.






Here is what Steve (Auburn Bioligist) said about this fish-

"wow - that looks like a whopper of a white perch! It could be a hybrid between white bass and white perch, such pairings are not unheard of in that genus. But, smart money would be on it being a really nice white perch."

He also said-  "that is a magnaminous white perch"

Here are a few more pics of our outing



A good morning fishing with my favorite son!


Tags    "North Carolina White Perch "    " North Carolina Citation White Perch "

3 comments:

Drew Haerer said...

That is a good day of fishing and a monster white perch! I caught a few decent size perch at Jordan last year and kept a few to eat. They were pretty darn good, in my opinion. Tight lines!

Capt. Marty said...

Awesome awesome White Perch.... In the past year I've caught a pile of 12-13"... That one is at least 15" TL. The entire body and head looks very different than my "run of the mill" citation Perch. Congrats on a real trophy!

Mack said...

Thanks for the comments Drew and Capt. Marty. Doubt I will ever catch another one that tops that.