Sunday, February 16, 2014

Trailer Hooks for Spinnerbaits

Trailer hooks IMO are a MUST for 90 percent of spinnerbait fishing.   There is debate among anglers as to how the trailer hook attaches, Some like the hook to be "free" and floppy but I am of the belief that it needs to straight and stay inline with the hook of the lure.   To do this you take tubing and slide it over the eye of the trailer hook and then insert the spinnerbait hook through the eye and the tubing keeps the hook ridged for a long time.   This way the trailer hook follows the spinnerbait hook exactly and isn't as likely to get hung up. 

**my you tube video is at the bottom****

I also don't buy "trailer hooks".  They are too expensive so I buy 3/0 or 4/0 trotline hooks or Limerick Hooks.   These have a big eye and work great for trailer hooks.  Don't buy 5/0's as I have found these eyes too large to slide the tubing over.  I also like pink or red tubing as I think this gets more bites,  kind of similar to  the idea behind Bleeding red Hooks.

Here is  the Tubing I use.   I purchased a lot along time ago and it was made by J T's tackle.   Jan's Netcraft is  also a good source for tubing.    The Hooks I use the most are these Eagle Claw Limerick's.



Here is a video from my You Tube channel on How to do this




Mack

No comments: