Sunday, June 26, 2016

2016 Crappie

I have to apologize as this years fishing has been off due to work and school.  I have though taken a few trips that I haven't posted on and during some of these trips I have caught some nice Crappie (no monsters but some decent fish) .  So here are a few Crappie pics from this years outings.

Also, as the year goes by I will add photos to this post.

Caught these in April on a Monks Head and a Acid Rain Grub




This is one was caught in April  on a Purple Rain Grub.  I caught 10~ on the Purple  Rain grub in about 15 cast then nothing!   It was a fast and furious first 15 cast.   I caught these in a local lake in a spot where I have been putting in a stake bed for 3 years when  the water is low and this was the first time I have fished it.  If the water gets low this year I will add more stakes to it and I know where I will be next  March/April !!!




Caught this one in May on a Powerbait tube under a cork
                                         
                       Here is one my son caught in May, pretty sure his Crappie is way  bigger than what I have caught this year!!!



One I caught yesterday trolling a "Fish Doc" Rig.    The Fish Doc Rig is a deep crank on the bottom of a 3 way swivel and a 1/4 oz Roostertail on the top. The top leader is twice as long as the bottom.   I caught too many to count White Perch, 1 white Bass, 1 yellow perch, and 4 channel cats (all cats on the Roostertail)  on this rig yesterday.  I have used this rig twice, once last year and now this year.

 The fish have killed this rig though I haven't got any really big fish on it yet though both times I have fished it have been less than ideal times in the middle of a Hot Summer day.    I am going to fish with this rig more and report back.



                                   
Here is a pic of the Acid and Purple Rain grubs.........................

                                 

 All of these fish were caught in Central North Carolina...........
 Thanks for looking!  Mack
"Crappie Fishing North Carolina"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mack,

Thanks for the heads up on the Fish Doc Rig. Happened to have the exact same crankbait you pictured, hadn't used it in years. Gave it a go with a 1/8oz firetiger roostertail from the yak up on Hyco this past wknd.

Fished roughly 5pm to dark. Got a bunch of small spotted bass. Had one hookup with a small spotted on the roostertail, then upon retrieving, had a 20"ish Channel Cat hit the crankbait. Made for an interesting de-hook and release. Surprisingly no crappie or white bass, good numbers in that lake, but i suspect they were on the bottom.

-Dave

Mack said...

Nice work Dave, do you have any pictures of the spotted bass??

Anonymous said...

Not a good one, and in looking back it could just be that they are small juvenile largemouth. I've noticed over the years that in the heat of the day you can get schools of 20 or more of these busting the surface. Never quite seen largemouth school like that, but doesn't mean they're not largemouth.

I've got a video of the catch i can email you.

-Dave