Monday, May 9, 2022


    Quest for the Bartram's Bass

My first quest for one of the redeye species would be the Bartram's Bass found in the Savannaha Drainage and also in the upper Saluda(probably stocked) drainage near Ware Shoals. 
The best place for me to catch a Bartrams would be  the Chatooga river, The Chauga River or The South Fork of the Broad River.
I chose the Chauga River for my first attempt at them.

This video is from 4 years ago but is  on my quest for the first of the seven Redeye Bass subspecies.  
 Now this fish(Bartrams) is found in North Carolina but where it is found in NC is Very very hard to reach in the Gorges State Park.  The Closest and easiest place for me to get one would be on the Chauga River in South Carolina.   
I gave my wife an ultralite rod and a green beetle spin to catch bream , Bartram's etc on and she showed me up with it catching the biggest one.   I got most of mine of the F7 Rapala. 
Here are some pictures of the Bartram's Bass my wife and I caught. I caught several Like this one.
And of course my Wife caught the biggest....uggh. 




Here is My YouTube video of the Bartram's bass and then the range map. 





A Great Read on Redeye Bass Fishing - https://amzn.to/3KBdMXF


Thanks for watching and reading. Mack

#bartramsbass

#coosabass

#redeyebass

#bassfishing



2 comments:

Chris B said...

Hi Mack, I grew up catching what were called "red eyes" or "rock bass" on the New river in Ashe county. Are those a redeye bass subspecies? I was curious because the map looks like they are mostly south of NC. I really appreciate and have learned much from your blogs and videos. -Chris

Mack said...

Sorry Chris I just saw this. The rock bass in the New are not related to the redeye bass. some people call Rock Bass redeyes but they are not redeye bass. tks fo your comment. Mack