Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Don't let High Water stop your Fishing!

Here in NC this December it has been really warm and rainy.  Jordan lake is up 12 ' !!

I have several spots on this lake that are usually good in High water so off to the lake I went Christmas evening.  I was throwing a 1/2 oz Cordell spot along some riprap and caught 3 Largemouth along with quite a few White bass.   Nothing huge but it sure beats not fishing.   I was throwing the spot on a 7 ' rod with a 4600C abu with 12 lb line.




Fast Forward to the 29th of December and Jordan is still right at 12 ' High. I figured some crappie would be shallow so I headed to a spot where I thought the fish maybe cooperative. Fished from 3-530 pm , I luckily  Caught some nice Crappie that all fell for a Monks Chartreuse head on a Purple Rain grub.

I then Went back this morning(Wed 30th) but decided to use A  12' Fiberglass  Zebco Crappie Stik so I could precisely set the bait beside a flooded willow and lift straight up. I was using a plain Cigar bobber 3' above a # 6 gold hook with a small weight just above the hook.    I went through 3 dozen minnows and 2 heavy downpours so I was glad to have my Frogg Toggs with me this am.  The avg size was smaller today than yesterday but still fun. All Crappie today and yesterday were Black Crappie. I Also caught 2 channel cats which were a blast on the pole.


The moral of this story is don't let high water stop you from fishing. They can still be caught .  I didn't see another fisherman on this lake all three trips! 



1 comment:

Ben said...

Nice pictures, looks like a good day of fishing.