Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Son's First Deer with Bow

 This  July my son informed me that he wanted to bow hunt . Well, that meant he had to get a bow so I took him to an archery shop in Sanford and had him outfitted with a Matthews bow. Heck! he has a better bow than I do now.  He has practiced A LOT since then and  has become very proficient with his new bow. So, this  past Saturday he wanted to go hunting. On our way there he said he was gonna get one today and I told him that shooting one on his first try out would be slim. He was confident he would nail one.
We arrived at our destination at approximately 3 pm and I put him in a ladder stand on an oak ridge. He then asked what he could shoot. I told him anything as long as it didn't have spots.  Fast forward to 5 pm and I am watching a doe and he calls me and tells me he has shot one. I arrived at his stand and he tracked the blood trail to his first bow kill! Now, he has taken deer with his rifle but this was pretty good, harvesting a deer the first time out with a bow. He made an excellent 25 yd shot.  A small doe but still a deer and this will be some good eating.  Nice job son!!!.

Equipment- Matthews Bow w/ Rage broad heads
Stand- Metal ladder stand than you can see behind his left shoulder
Stand location. - Oak Ridge
Time- 3pm till dark

Him practicing
 
The results
 

 
 
Again, nice job son

No comments: