Friday, September 25, 2009

Eastern N.C. Smallies????. Spring 2009

I kept hearing rumors about this river in eastern n.c. that supposedly has some Smallies in it. It is right on the Piedmont/coastal plain border and It is not the Uwharrie which is a better known stream.

 I find it hard to believe that there are smallies in this river as I have fished it a few times near its headwaters and a few times down low and reportedly Smallmouth bass are distributed though out its entire length as I had  never caught a smallie there in the past. Th rumors kept intriguing me so I planned a trip there in the spring of 09.

 I fished it near the middle of it and put in at a bridge and paddled up. The redbreast fishing in this stream was awesome and that is putting it mildly. The  Avg size was better than most streams though I didn't catch any monsters. Most redbreast were caught on small Rapalas. I also  caught some bass on buzzers and Rapalas. I Even caught 2 at a time which miraculously  I  have done twice in 09! Here's to the first double caught in 09.


Here's a picture of the river. It is probably the prettiest river in North Carolina



I caught several Smallmouth this size though none were over 12 inches.
There are Defiantly smallies in this water.


A Decent redbreast caught


Another















There were no lunkers caught on today's trip   but it was  a great day on a beautiful river. I was wading in one section and out of the corner of my eye I  spotted what I though was a log floating downstream. It got right to my ankles and it was an aprox 30 lb flathead slowly going downstream through some skinny water!  What an awesome sight !!

....I will get back there soon.

Thanks for going along.   Mack

4 comments:

Donnie said...

What river are you referring to. I would love to try it out sometime.

WOLKAN said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mack said...

guys email meand i will tell you where...thanks mack

River King Pete said...

Thanks Mack! Great trip report. I will have to take my river kings back and try to find some smallies!!!

Pete