Saturday, February 12, 2011

Good Day Fishing On A North Carolina River

February 12, 2011
North Carolina River Bass Fishing
Sunny and windy
Water Clarity-Murky
Lures Used- Cordell Spot, Strike King Spinnerbait
Reels used-Daiwa Regal 2500 spinning reel w/14lb fireline-Cordell Spot,
and Ambassadeur 5600C loaded with 15lb ande -Strike King Spinnerbait
Boat Used- Coleman Scanoe w/55lb Thrust trolling Motor
Time-1230-500PM


Met up with Jeff today about 2  hrs east of  Raleigh for some winter river bass fishing in eastern North Carolina. When I arrived at the ramp my first thought was that I should have cancelled because of the wind, and stayed at  home to watch UNC beat up on Clemson,  My second thought was that I should have brought the gas motor.  Both proved to be wrong. Took awhile to find the bass but once we did it was game on.  I caught 3 big ones today with my total bass somewhere around 12 for the day along with 1 gar, 1 bream and 1 crappie. Jeff reeled it quite a few bass as well but I got lucky today with the big ones.

These bass wanted a lure retrieved fairly fast with  probaly 75 percent  caught on the Cordell Spot and 25 percent on the Strike King spinnerbait.

Here Is Jeff at the start of the trip headed upriver.
Note: 90 percent of the time I head up river as if something happens to your motor you can drift back down. Even without a motor you can easily get way to far down river and the paddle up river at the end of the day is torture. Easier to paddle up and float back down.


\












This was the first fish of the day and the biggest. She nailed my spinnerbait At first she didnt fight that hard and i was just reeling a fish in until she came up. Then I got nervous as she tried to jump several times.



















Here is the average size we caught today and a decent view of the SK Spinnerbait.



The Bass above is probaly the fattest bass I have caught in a long time.  What A Pig!  This maybe a lunker in a few years the way she is eating.

Below is Jeff with oneof the many cookie cutters we caught today

One of the 3 nice ones I caught today, Here you can see the Cordell spot in her mouth. 




My 3rd "lunker" of the day

Here is my final fish of the day. I was sure I had a 10lb bass on but after a few minutes I realized it was problay a gar. 

A good day fishing  with a good freind, We also saw 3 wood ducks, several herons, lots of buzzards and a couple of pileated woodpeckers.  I cannot wait to get back and try for some topwater bass on this river and maybe try the flyrod here. 

Mack

6 comments:

Nat's Dad said...

Can a person be banned from a blog or is that only on a forum?

I need to know before I make my comments.

Mack said...

yes, you can be banned!.....I know where you live........

Nat's Dad said...

yes, and I know exactly where you were fishing yesterday..........

Fish Whisperer said...

I know exactly where we were fishing too! Good thing neither of you know where I live :)

South Georgia Kayak Fishing said...

Mack, great blog, man! Impressive catch!

Nat's Dad said...

Mack,

Cause I'm a fair chase kinda guy I just wanted you to know that one of your new followers works for me and if you do this a third time without me you will know the real meaning of the word "pain". Take a mental health day this Friday Not a soul in the company likely to argue you don't need it. LOL

heck! your wife or my wife's degrees qualifies as Expert Testimony in court that you might go off the deep end any second if forced to work and not fished given what WRAL weather says the week will be like.

P.S. Sunday night road trip just north of the place the the gas station where you had asked the lady, if she was affraid of getting robbed ( I still think the SBI will show up here after she wrote MY tag numbers down) might be a real crusade and freak the boyzs out. I'll pay for the crawlers.

P.S.S

Please don't let nay Yak guys on here...........there goes the neighborhood...............