Friday, September 23, 2011

September Smallies

September 20, 2011
Boat - Old Town 119
Main Outfit used- Ambassadeur 4600 with 12 lb Ande line
Main Lure used- Strike King Spinnerbait, Chartreuse
Weather- cool and cloudy


I was dying to do a float this am as it has been July since I have done a float because of my operation. Should I go after Largemouths or Smallies?....Or should I go after Crappie or Carp?.....

The decision was to go after Smallies since I Have not fished for them much this year.  Weather was supposed to be cloudy with a 30 % chance of rain from 7am -12 and 50% chance after 12.  A daylight to 12 trip it would be . I  arrived at the launch at daylight to a cool 60 degrees air temperature and no one else there. Here is a picture of my "new to me" truck at the put in.  Note- my ole Honda will be doing 90 percent of my canoe hauling as it is a lot easier to put a canoe on a lower vehicle and strap it down.  Not really bad with the truck but alot easier with the car.

This "new to me" truck is a 2002 Sierra that I told my self if I bit the bullet and purchased it that I would also bite the bullet and purchase a good canoe rack for it. I have used Yakima racks since 1988 and have them for 2 hondas but for a truck the Thule racks look better and look better made. Ouch! that hurt as I have always praised Yakima.


The water was a toasty 67 degrees and clear. I started off throwing a Chartreuse spinnerbait and was rewarded with this Smallie.  She wrapped me up twice,  but fortunately I had 12 lb ande on the Ambassaduer 4600 and 7' allstar rod..



Get Your Strike King Spinnerbait herehttps://amzn.to/3VOfDuR


I then caught a bigger one but she broke my spinnerbait and fell into the water as i tried to lift her into the canoe.
The smallies were really whacking my chartreuse  spinnerbait .


Lots of these little guys.






To Steve and Jim. this ain't where u think it is.
Out of 3 smallie fishing trips this year this was definitely the best out of the 3. Next time I will be better prepared with more spinnerbaits.  See you on the water Mack

#bass
#smallmouthbass
#fishing

2 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

Truck looks great man! I bet you were worried about only using two straps. I can see the wraps on the thwarts.

Looks like you hit it just right. Congrats on the nice smallmouth.

Feather Chucker said...

Nice fish as always.