Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hunting with Otto

OK,  I don't fish much in the fall and winter as I am too busy Hunting......This year so far has been one of my worst I have ever had.....Too many acorns in the woods surrounding our property or too many deer being killed in the surrounding area?....Who knows but it hasn't been a stellar year. My son hasn't seen a shooter yet(nor have I ) and neither has his friend whom I have taken twice. My old friend Otto came to my store last week asking  me to take him hunting. I told him that if he wanted to see a deer this year he may need to go with someone else. He insisted that he really didn't care he just wanted to get out and enjoy the outdoors. It has been over 2 years since I have taken Otto hunting as 2 years ago my mother was really sick and this past year I have been busy dealing with all her stuff.




A little background on Otto. He was born in Germany and when he was a young lad his parents immigrated to Queens. For most of his life Otto ran a liquor store in Queens and he is an expert on wines and liquors. He is also an expert woodworker, and last but not least He is also an expert at hunting but now he is pushing 80 and a operation on his back that went bad has severely limited his ability to get outdoors. 
There are several reasons I cant say no to Otto. 1. He is a good friend. 2. He is pushing 80 and we have to look out for our older friends. 3. he is handicapped and 4th he is a Brother Mason.


So, today was the day,(Tuesday Dec 1, 2011)  I pick up Otto at 130 and by 2 I have him in a box stand that sits on the ground overlooking a power line. By 2:15 I am in my ladder stand . I was having a good time watching the birds, squirrels and even saw 1 gobbler and then right at 4:30 I hear some crunching heading my way. He walked straight at me and then turned broadside at about 30 yds. I leveled my Ithaca Deerslayer and sent a Remmington 1oz slug his way.....He never knew what hit him. I have a .270 and 4 30-30's but when that slug hits em you think they have been hit by a tank!..... I then drag the deer to the truck and get him loaded up right before dark. I shut the tailgate and hear KABOOOOOOOOOM!.......Did Otto get one too? Since it was right at dark I drove up to Otto's stand and he says he shot a buck 200 yards out. I go to where the deer was standing and find blood!.....I track the blood trail for aprox 80 yards and find his deer piled up in a heap. 2 guys 2 deer . Cant beat that with a stick. Now, I don't have to work out tomorrow after dragging 2 out of the woods. Here are our deer. Nats Dad, please don't look if u wish to have a good Friday.


Oh, I got a bucktail for Fly tying!!!!

What a nice day. Mack

2 comments:

Woodduck said...

Have you visited the Masonic Lodge in Halifax, NC? First and only Grand Master of America burried there.

Mack said...

Hello Woodduck, I havnt sat in that lodge yet, but I do plan to go there this year for a meeting.......My son and I stopped and looked at That lodge aprox 3 years ago and I was suprised to see His grave ...really a nice lodge and suprised that I had driven by where a Grand Master was laid to rest and didnt know it...It also suprised me that halifax is Lodge #2 ...I think Wilmingon has Lodge # 1....Very good History at the Halifax Lodge Thanks Mack