Friday, February 24, 2012

Rabbit Hunting and Trapping

One of my passions is also rabbit hunting. I grew up rabbit hunting behind a pack of beagles and harvested plenty of rabbits as a youth in Alamance County and Person County. One way I like to Rabbit Hunt is to just "walk" them up . Pretty easy as you just walk into the thickest and nastiest Brier patch and kick every clump of debris you see and be sure to keep one eye ahead as some will bolt before you get to them.
I use a pistol or a short barreled shotgun with an open choke. Here are 3 I got earlier this month. All shot with in 3 minutes of each other.


Some years I use Havahart traps and wooden rabbit gums.. This was one of those years. Rabbits can be caught with apples, onions, corn, and a variety of other baits. Sometimes I even plant pansies(yes pansies) in front of the door and that lures them to the entrance.  Here are 2 sets I made.




Here is a rabbit I trapped in the above wooden trap.





Now I just need to dig out a few rabbit recipe's!

Mack

2 comments:

Thomas Venney said...

Thanks

Mack said...

Thanks for reading....check out my you tube channel as well.