Sunday, February 9, 2014

Piedmont Small Stream Chain Pickerel

February 7th, 2013
Duke Forest
New Hope Creek


  I had caught zero fish this year and I was getting pretty restless wanting to catch something slimy .   Where would I go?  I didn't have the time or confidence to make a trip to some of my usual haunts  with this cold weather so I figured a trip to a spot that held a lot of Chain Pickerel aka "Jack"  would maybe get me a fish or two. I decided to hit a small stream in the Piedmont that has a few Jack in it.  

My rod would be a 5 1/2 ft lite spinning outfit loaded with  6 lb mono.  My lure of choice today would be a 1/6 oz Super Roostertail in red with red hackle.  This color combo is no longer made by Yakima Bait company in the super.


I arrived at the stream at aprox 11:30 am and immediately took the water temperature and it showed 42 degrees.  I started working several pools and at 1 pool I had 1 follow and 3 hits.  I caught this Jack which was maybe 13 inches. Not a monster but I will take it after a winter of not fishing. After not getting anymore hits I took a few pictures of this stream and left knowing I would be back here in warmer weather to catch a few bass and bream. 


Here are a few pics of this nice stream. A hidden jewel.






The last time I fished this stream was probably 5 or 6 years ago and I will be sure to make it back there by May.  Here are a few pics from that trip .


A Green Sunfish



"


Thanks for lookin. 
Mack

#dukeforest
#newhopecreek
#fishing


3 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

I had no idea that stream had such great scenery and rocky structure. That one may be on my list as well. Nice jack, glad you finally got the skunk off!

-Jeff

Mack said...

Yeah Jeff this stream is a hidden jewel. The last time I was there I saw several 3 lbish largemouth , several carp that may have went -10lbs and a few suckers that were maybe 2-3 lbs.

Mack

venajoe said...

Glad to see you get a chance to fish again after so long...