Sunday, August 7, 2016

Carp Catchin after Work

Sunday August 7th, 2016   Central North Carolina

I have Carp fished 3 times this year .  Twice at the spot I went to today which resulted in lots of Channel Cats but no Carp and once at Smith Mountain Lake which resulted in 1 - 4 lb carp.

I decided to try again today after work so my time was limited from 6-9 pm.

The Outfits I used today are a 4500 Shimano Baitrunner on an 8'6'' Med action Ugly Stik and a Daiwa 5000m Millionaire on an  Abu 6'6'' Med Heavy Rod.  Both Of these are spooled with Blue 15lb Ande Line.

My Rig consist of a Carolina Rig using a 1 oz Steel egg sinker ,  #5 Black Barrel swivel, 4 inches or so of 25lb Flurocarbon snelled to a #1 Owner Mosquito Hook.   The bait was as usual 4-5 grains of whole Kernel Corn.   I also used a packbait consisting of Maple and Brown sugar Oatmeal and cream corn with Vanilla Extract added. this is packed around the egg weight.

Pack Bait Ingredients 

Bait

This is what my rig looks like minus the tag end I hadn't trimmed yet. This pic was taken last week at Smith Mountain Lake and not today(also usually my leader is shorter). 


  I threw out my lines at aprox 6pm and at aprox 615 my Outfit with the Millionaire Reel is Doubled over.  The Battle was intense but after 5 mins or so I subdued this beast. A Beautiful  North Carolina Carp !


Then aprox 15 mins later another!  This one was on the Baitrunner outfit.
I ended up with another 1 about 4 lbs or so and lost a big one right at dark as she ran into my other line and came unhooked.  It was a fantastic evening on the water.

Thanks for looking, Mack
#carpfishing
#fishing
#lakecrabtree

1 comment:

venajoe said...

Love carp fishing! They are bigger, on average, than most other freshwater fish, and they are powerful fighters!