Sunday, October 2, 2016

The White Catfish were Biting

White Catfish Outing

Tuesday September the 27th I decided to go for Crappie at a dam just 2 minutes from my work.   My bait would be Crappie minnows which are just small shiners . I fished these on a #4 wire hook with a 1/2 ounce weight 1 foot above it .  My rods today would be a 20' fiberglass crappie pole and a 12' Uncle Bucks crappie pole with a 1000 size shimano reel spooled with 8 lb Hi vis line.

The plan was to drop the shiners right in front of the dam where the water is 12 ' deep and fish several depths till I found the crappie.  I never did catch a crappie but I caught several small chunky bass and for a while I was catching White Catfish 1 after the other.

The spot and the rods set out.
The first White Catfish, I thought I had a slab crappie on at first!  See the White whiskers on the Chin? that is how you tell if you have a White Catfish.

Another White Catfish..... this was the best one out of maybe 10 or so.  See the white chin barbels and notice the tail isn't as deeply forked as a channel cat.

I also caught several nice chunky Largemouth that put up very hard fights especially on these crappie poles.  All the largemouth were caught below the dam and released above the dam. All of the cats were caught just above the dam.

I left right after dark.  Even though I didn't catch my target species(crappie) , it was a blast catching those White Catfish.

Tags -  "White Catfish"  "North Carolina"

#whitecatfish
#catfish
#fishing  


2 comments:

venajoe said...

I often catch white catfish while carp fishing. They will certainly bite sweet corn or soaked & boiled feed corn (as well as boilies and even plastic corn). The last one I caught was around 2 lbs and had an immense mouth for its body size.

Mack said...

Hello Joe, I sometimes catch them in Jordan Lake and the Males sometimes have big heads which makes their body look small.