Monday, April 11, 2011

American Shad and a Shellcracker

Upon completing yard work for today I had several choices.  I could go meet up with a friend slaying the Stripers on Jordan or head after some Shad on their spring run. I decided to go to Jordan but after 2 calls my friend was either busy catching fish or ignoring me,  LOL.  So, I headed east to a river where I slayed the Shad 2 and 3 years ago but struck out there last year.
The water looked great and was 61 degrees and usually a good sign in most places was  there was only 1 other fisherman here but, When the shad are biting good it is usually better to see more fishermen as that means they are catching something. After about an hr with only 1 small Black Crappie I got a good hit and was rewarded with this American shad.
















I caught these fish on pink headed Chartreuse jigs( see my other shad post for the picture of those jigs).
It was good to see that some made it here this year.
Only caught a couple here so after catching this American Shad pictured  below I decided to make a move to Contentnea creek and headed south down I-95 to Wilson.




















This second spot I don't mind naming as it gets a lot of pressure.  Wiggins Mill  on Contentnea Creek. .
Upon arriving at Wiggins Mill the lot was almost full. Problem was, no one was catching anything except the bottom!  Its water temp  was also 61 degrees.  I decided to hike downriver and after not getting any shad to bite I tried for some Bream and was rewarded with this nice Shellcracker.




















Picture doesn't do this fish justice as she was 3 times the size of my hand. 1 and 1/4 lbs which ain't too shabby.
Now,  I  really should not show the next picture as it may make Nat's Dad really mad as too how good of a day I had but what the heck, I will show off my next catch anyway.  Sorry Nat's Dad.
















Those 2 barbecue sandwiches made a nice ending to a good day on the water.  Not any great numbers caught but can't complain when you go out and catch an American Shad.  Till next time , Mack

#contentneacreek
#littleriver

3 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Great catches, that is a BIG shad. Any panfish you have to hold with 2 hands is good size. I can tell it's huge from the picture. I caught my first shad this year. I'm hoping to catch my firt American sometime on the Neuse.

Unknown said...

Great post Mack..Those are some fine looking shad and that shecraker is a beast man.One of these day I would like to come up your way and fish with you.Take care friend.

Mike Sepelak said...

My kind of day, Mac. And topping it off with BBQ. Sweet!