Monday, July 25, 2011

Float for Stripers and Largemouths

Hit up a piedmont river on Friday June the 24th.  Jeff and I had wanted to go to the yadkin or possibly another river but rains in those drainages made the conditions not to our liking. I suggested a river that I have fished alot in the past but only sparingly in the last few years. It was a good gamble. I also brought along a freind of mine , Mike.  I think we all had a blast.

We launced just after daylight and Mike spotted some schooling action upstream. We all headed that way and Mike and Jeff were tearing up the stripers. I couldnt buy a bite. They were having nothing to do with the topwater lures I had brought.  Very frustrating. I was glad for them but still very frustrating.  Finally I dug a little deeper in my box and found a lure I had forgot was in there.  A clear chug bug. Man! I prayed and thought that would be the lure.  First cast . Bam! A striper was on.  I ended up with about 15 stripers from 3 - 7 lbs on the ole chug bug. This bite lasted about an hour and I think we could of caught them longer but a long float lay ahead, so we headed down. .   Mike actually caught some on the longrod but I couldnt get there to take a photo, without messing up his spot..
Well done Mike!

Here are 2 of the stripers I caught.



































We then Started throwing lures for bass. I started off with a white buzzer but ended up throwing a white spinnerbait.  I chose white as the water was very clear. I probaly brought to hand 20 plus largemougths,  though most were small in the 1 - 1 1/2 lb range. I did catch 1 that was probaly 4 lbs and a 3lber. Jeff ended up with the biggest at almost 5 lbs.

















My best bass of the day
















This  redbreast nailed my spinnerbait.















Mike w/an avg bass we caught today















Me and one of the many bass we caught.















Here is the big one of the day















We were floating down the river in a channel between 2 Islands when I heard some rustling in the woods on the Island. All of the sudden , this beast is standing there and he doesnt look happy that we are around.
He may have been the highlight of the day.
















Here is a nice pic of the water that we were catching bass in.

















A great day on the water with some great freinds.  Its hard to beat topwater stripers and Largemoughts on buzzers and spinnerbaits.  We also saw lots of wildlife. Herons, ducks, geese , ospreys, and 1 lone eagle and the lone goat.  Also saw some big gar, big monster carp and saw some big and i do mean big freshwater drum.

Mack

5 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Never heard of people catching stripers in a river in the summer. Is this on the Cape Fear?

Unknown said...

Another great report Mack. Keep em coming man I love the Goat. Yall caught some nice fish too. Congrats !!

Fish Whisperer said...

Mack, throw Kevin a bone. I'm sure he'd like to land a summer striper on the long rod.

I'm itching to go back to this river, preferably this weekend.

Mack said...

was going to throw him a bone, just not on my comments where everyone can see.....kevin, it was on the eno.....just kiddin, i will pm u on ncangler.......

Drew Haerer said...

Yessir, that is some fun right there! Congrats on all the fine catches.