Saturday, March 3, 2012

Shad Fishing on the Roanoke River with the Boys

We had several choices today(3-3-12) with the weather and conditions. The choice today was to go back to the roanoke since the white shad may not be at the 2 places(quantity wise) where I have had good luck with them and also I would have 2- 15 year old's with me and Hickories are a lot easier to catch right now than Americans and I need to keep them occupied while fishing....I gave them the choice of catching a few big whites or more hickories and they chose quanity over quality......


We arrived at Weldon at 4 and fished until 6 and in those 2 hrs we caught 15 or so on 1/8 oz and 1/16 ox chartreuse and white curlytails......Last week they were hitting the white, but today with the water a little more stained most came off the Chartreuse.



Here is my 15 year old driving Up I-95



This is Nathan with his first ever  Weldon Hickory Shad
This is My son with his first Hickory of the year.

And here is some old fart with a decent Weldon Shad
We then ended the day off with some good eatins at Ralph's Bar-b-que.

The Shad fishing at Weldon should heat up fast with 50-100 shad a day possible in just 1- 2 weeks.
                          
Time to drive to Weldon and back for only 2 hrs of fishing----2 Hrs 40 mins

Cost of gas---aprox 30 bucks

Cost of Drinks and snacks 10 bucks

Cost of Ralph's Bar-b-que plus tip----46 bucks

Time spent fishing with son----PRICELESS

5 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Those are some nice shad. I can't wait to fish with my kids.

Mike said...

Am I going to find shad in Lake Gaston?

I'm leading a fishing vacation to Gaston and looking for some local intelligence - what to look for, what to avoid, etc.

Any thoughts?

Mack said...

Hello Mike! I have never fished Gaston...I am 90 percent mostly a river fisherman ....I have fished the Dan and staunton rivers that feed Kerr lake above Gaston. Thes shad are like Salmon and run up out of the ocean into Freshwater to spawn then go back. So, this type of shad shouldnt be in Gaston but I know the State does take some of these shad and transport them from the river below Roanoke Rapids lake and put them in upper Kerr lake so they can spawn upriver and to see if the fry can make it back down to the ocean!..They Have documented these fry actually making it through the 3 dams and headed back down to the ocean!....Gizzard shad and /or threadfins is what Gaston mostly has..........Mack

iftekhar said...

where is this spot exactly?

Mack said...

It is in Weldon NC, we are standing just above the boat ramp. The ramp is off HWY 301....Lots of people there this time of year but also lots of fish.