Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lake Mayo - Jack ( Chain Pickerel ) Capital of the World

031212
Mayo Lake , NC

Ok, here in North Carolina we Have the Rockfish Capital of the World but I also believe we have the "Jack" Capital as well. Jack (Chain Pickerel ) live in the Piedmont and coastal plain of  North Carolina. Usually they are more common in down east blackwater creeks and millponds but the Piedmont has some good Jack waters as well. Lake Cammack in Burlington is one along with some other Piedmont millponds but nowhere in NC (in my opinion) can you catch as many Jack as in Lake Mayo.  I am usually a river fisherman but do "stray" once in a while. Today was one of those days. Lots of rain had all my favorite rivers and streams running high.    I knew if I went anywhere today it had to be Lake Mayo as Mayo Creek that feeds it is not big enough to muddy the whole Lake. I used to fish Mayo a lot back in the 80's but only fish it ocasionally now. When I was 14 and 15 I  used to Rabbit hunt a lot of the land that is now underwater.

Heck, I almost didn't go.  Warm weather and then last night it dips into the 30's with Bright bluebird skies today 3.28.12. No way would I even get a bite today. After taking care of some family business today I almost went back home and didn't fish today.  But fish I did, Good choice though no lunkers were caught, the number of bites surprised me. I arrived at the launch at aprox 5pm and fished till dark at 8.pm . The water temp was 65 degrees and I decided to mainly throw a white booyah spinnerbait . I also threw a Rogue and a Mepps minnow  but all bites came on the spinnerbait. Here is the today's lure of choice.
Here is the first bass of 6 caught. I lost 2 dinks and 1 spinnerbait as well.































This is another bass caught ...most caught today were small like this one but still fun to catch!




This is one of 2 Jacks. I didn't notice the really red tail until I got home and looked at the pictures ..They must be spawning right now.  I probably had 10 hits from  jacks but all  hits not aggressive and only 2 hooked. I actually watched several hits near the canoe but couldn't get a hook set on them.



































Right at dark the air temp had dropped to almost 50 but I was still getting hits on the spinnerbait.  Thanks for looking,  Mack

#mayolake
#chainpickerel
#bassfishing

3 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Nice fish, I wonder why there are so many jacks in Mayo?

Unknown said...

Mack,
What do you think of New Hope Creeks bass fishery in Orange County.

Mack said...

I have caught a few bass out of there. nothing big