Sunday, July 21, 2013

Garlic for Catfishing

Garlic for Catfish ???

***see video at the bottom, 46lb blue cat***
Garlic for Catfishing????  I knew they had garlic scents but I had assumed they were for spraying Bass worms(which was the original intent) but who would spray garlic on perfectly good cutbait? My Taxidermist  Bill told me that when he goes to Kerr Lake that he sprays his cutbait with Garlic and it outfishes non sprayed cutbait. I was a non believer when  Bill told me this way back in the 90's but knowing Bill wouldn't lead me a stray I tried it and  Since then I have used it religiously and It works!. 
I use either Jacks juice or Bang garlic spray.  If i am bream fishing during the day for bait I will take some bream and go ahead and cut them up and put them in a ziplok bag and spray them to let then marinate which works well. Garlic works well using it as soon as you cut the bait up also and if I cast out and dont like the spot I respray with garlic and cast out again.. I almost never go catfishing w/o a can of Garlic Spray.

This is my biggest cat caught on a bream head sprayed with Garlic spray. 46lb Blue caught in the Neuse River, that was a night to remember.

I have also used it with success spraying it on nightcrawlers and other baits. 

You can also sprinkle Garlic powder on cutbait when you freeze it for future use. I wouldn't recommend spraying cutbait with the spray then freezing it as the spray is A LOT STRONGER than the powder and your freezer may get a garlic smell.

Also,    A lot of catfishermen use whats called Chicken  Breast Marinated in Garlic Powder 
( CBMIGP for short) and it does work well for Blue and Channel Cats but I can assure you that anything sprayed with garlic spray is better than garlic powder. The powder is reserved for freezing in my catfishing world.  Either way is going to be better than no garlic at all.

 The other day I was looking at you Tube and came across "Garlic Worms".  After seeing this guys video on Garlic worms I was amazed that no one had posted anything before him on this. I would go into detail on it but I don't want to steal his glory on this so I will post his link. Watch it , it is so simple it's amazing. I tried it(I have some in the fridge right now) and it works.!



**Get your Garlic Scents here -  Spike it Garlic spray (GOOD) - https://amzn.to/3h3xIGs
                                                 Bang Garlic Spray (really GOOD)  https://amzn.to/3h3xIGs







So, If you want to catch more catfish head to the Tackle shop and get some garlic spray or the Grocery store for some Garlic.

Mack

#catfishing
#catfish

3 comments:

venajoe said...

Mack,

Thanks for sharing the specifics about garlic spray. I am a beginning catfisher (I often catch channel cats when fishing for carp.), and I will try the garlic spray on cut bait--and on nightcrawlers when I'm panfishing! Thanks again!

Joe

Anonymous said...

Nice meeting you today Mack. Impressive blogspot here. Didn't know I was talking with the Jeremy Wade of North Carolina. Garlic banging! haha.

Chris

Mack said...

Thanks Chris. Maybe I can Join you one day on that dock. I was just to tired that evening. Nice meeting you as well. Mack