Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Few Lipless Crankbait tips

Lipless Crankbait Tips


It is getting that time. Late Winter Early Spring.   Time to use Lipless cranks

Back in the 80's  I used to fish with this older gentleman  named "Whitey" ...Mostly we fished Jordan for big bass and Hybrids.

The first few trips he usually caught more fish than I did and what was odd was a lot of the times we were using the exact same bait.  same technique, same depth, etc. What was the difference?  was he just better? Possibly,  but there was one thing that he used that I didn't and for awhile I refused to believe that his little "trick" made a difference.  What was it? Well, Whitey had this pink tubing that he on the line just on top of the lure.    It was  cut about 3/8 inch long and each cut was made at an angle and this cut "glowed" kinda like a fiber optic bow sight.

I  talked him in to giving me some of this tubing as he was reluctant to at first  as he couldn't remember where he got it. I finally convinced him to and  My catch rate went up. I searched for this tubing and I finally found some in a Myrtle beach K mart and it was made by JT's Tackle. I bought every one they had.  I still have some of that supply today but it is getting low.

This tubing I think causes the same kinda reaction as the red hooks but Whitey was using this long before they became popular. 

Also with trap style baits I go by the same color scheme as for spinnerbait, rogues etc,  Gold down east and lighter colors west.

Also , while I usually use a trap or spot,  if I need more distance I use a ratlin rap. It's smoother rounded edges give me a lot better accuracy and distance,  The rat l tap (at least for me) tends to fly erratic when you try to really sling it and get a lot of distance out of it.
The Rat lin Rap  helped me get my biggest hybrid at 13lbs 11 oz as where they fed at my hotspot a trap wouldn't normally reach them.

Another trick is to put a curly tail grub on the rear treble.  This seems to work really well.

Here is the picture of the tubing.

Get you Lipless cranks here -  Rat L Trap - https://amzn.to/3VBxo0v
Cordell Spot - https://amzn.to/3FuS6K8

 Here is the picture of my biggest Hybrid to date.  A 13 lb 11 oz behemoth that measured 30 inches long. I would have never reached this fish if not for using the Rapala  Rat Lin Rap. 


My best from Jordan Dam 



Thanks for lookin. Mack
#Liplesscrankbait

No comments: