Friday, March 21, 2014

White Shad Fishing and a Nice Bass on Contentnea Creek

March 21, 2013

I needed to get my White Shad fix so off to Wiggin's Mill on Contentnea Creek I went.
I arrived there at aprox 11:30 am and went down river to a "hole" where I lost a nice white the other day. No Hits.    I then moved a little upstream and got into a few small hickories that were hitting the white jig and not the  Chartreuse.  Here is the first and probably the best Hickory shad I caught today.

 
 The bite was kinda slow. Ok, really SLOW, so I headed back to the car , ate a little lunch and then went in search of a striper or 2.  Now , this spot isn't noted for stripers but a few do make it up here
each spring.   I was throwing a Zoom Swimmin super Fluke on a 1/2 oz jighead.  I was on my 3rd cast and hopping it in and "Bam" , a good hit and good fight. This Bass never came up till the end so I was thinking I did have a striper but ended up with this 5~ lb bass.  I won't complain.


 
 
The reel used for Stripers was a Daiwa 2600SS spooled with 12 lb suffix on a 7' Penn Rod
 
Now it was getting time to try for a White Shad so I headed back downstream and hit one pool where I caught a handful of them. This ole gal was the best maybe pushing 4  lbs. (sorry for the crappy pic but there was condensation on the lens)
 

The reel used for shad today was a Shimano Saros 3000 spooled with 10 lb Suffix on a 6 1/2 ft Berkeley Lighting Rod.  Lures today were 1/16 and 1/8 oz Pink headed arkie jig heads with white curly tails.

Not a bad day,  saw lots of Herons. Even saw a wood duck pair several times and the female kept going into a hole in the top of a dead tree. She defiantly has a nest in there. I left early so I could make it home in time to see UNC play.    Thanks for lookin Mack   

#wigginsmill
#contentneacreek
#shadfishing
 
 
 

No comments: