Saturday, May 24, 2014

One Beautiful Catfish!

Black Flathead Catfish

Went fishing with my good friend Aki and James  5/20/2014 on a Central piedmont flow. We fished from aprox 4:30 to 8:30 pm.  Our quarry today was catfish and hopefully flathead catfish.   We caught bait with rod and reel(crappie and bream) and also with a castnet (shad and shiners).
Then we set out 2 rods each and began our wait . 30 mins later my rod with a crappie for bait was bent over and I reeled  in this nice 15lb flathead that was the darkest flattie I have seen.  James said he has caught a few dark ones here but this was a first for me.  All the flatheads I have ever caught were that normal yellow brown.  Not a huge fish but I was happy to of caught one that color.  We actually didn't land another fish but it was a good day.

Reels used- 

Daiwa Procaster PS55 loaded with 30 lb Cajun line
Abu Garcia 7000C loaded with 40 lb Cajun line
Both on American Spirit "Nite Stiks" 7' Med Hvy Rods

Rig was my usual Bottom rig for cats consisting of a Bank sinker and short leader with a good hook.
 





Thanks for reading and be sure to check out my YouTube Channel at  Mack's River Fishing YouTube Channel


#catfishing
#flatheadcatfish
#northcarolinafishing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What size mesh for the shiners? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thanks for article. I've been given a daiwa procaster ps55 reel and wanted to catch some catfish here in Europe. How does the reel cope? Also I'm struggling to find a rod to match it with as I think you have more choice in USA. It would have to be a 2 peice.

Tight lines😀

Mack said...

Daiwa 55 is an awesome reel. never had a problem with it.