Friday, March 13, 2015

Neuse River and my first Shad of 2015

Date- 3/10/15
Location-Lower Neuse River and Creeks off the Neuse
Time-1Pm-630Pm
Water Conditions and Flow-  High(12000+cfm) and slightly stained
Water Temp- 49 Degrees
Boat- Coleman Scanoe with 2.5 Hp Mercury
Partner- Aki and "Pete"
Best Lure-  1/8 Oz Pink Headed Arkie Jig with White Grub on 8 lb test
Presentation -  Slow and deep


Whew! I finally got out for my first Shad trip and we immediately headed upstream stopping at several spots along way.  Nothing.  We then headed farther upstream and went into a creek . Right away I immediately  caught a small hickory. Nice. This is the spot!  Wrong!!!   That was the only hit we got there.
I  then decided to head back downriver and up another creek except this time we went way up it between trees and found a few open holes back in there. We immediately started picking up some shad. Not that were we slaying them but it was enough to make up happy.  A nice day on the water with Aki and my Dog Pete.  I think Pete actually had a better time than Aki and myself.  The shad evidently are not in the main river but up in the flooded forest.   Next time I hope the river is at a more normal level but I can't complain as it was an awesome day on the water.

Here are a few Pictures.







Here is the Fishing "Mo" Chine back at the ramp,

Thanks for looking.  Hopefully headed to the Tar Basin next week.
#shadfishing
#neuseriver

No comments: