Sunday, March 29, 2015

Roanoke River Shad 3/24/2014

Date- 3/24/2015
Location- Weldon on the Roanoke River
Quarry - Hickory Shad
Lures used- Arkie 1/16th and 1/8 Pink headed Jigs with Chartreuse, white and pink grubs
Water Temp- 50.7 degrees
Water Flow- 20,000 cfm Dropping to 4,000.  Water dropped several feet while we fished. flow probably around 10,000 most of the time we were there.
Partners- Tony, my son Mack, and my dog Pete

Hit the Roanoke today in search of Hickory Shad.  Caught a few on Chartreuse grubs but the bite was slow for everyone except for 1 guy using a pink spoon.  Now I don't normally use spoons as they costs too much but i did have some pink grubs.  I retied Tony's, my sons, and my line with pink and the bite was on.  Tony caught his first ever Shad and my son and I caught maybe 20-25 apiece.

It also  pays attention to "spy" on other anglers sometimes.  I didn't see anyone else switch to pink so I guess they just either weren't looking or didn't have pink.

A few pictures.


A nice day on the Roanoke,


No comments: