Thursday, June 16, 2011

Big Channel Cats

After seeing a bud of mine catch some nice channels I decided to hit a pond in my Town Limits and see how it is.  Problem........I had no good bait.....except,  my box turtles night crawlers and some frozen catalpa worms......Heck,  I do have some good bait but  I was out of cutbait which I usually keep in my game freezer.
So off to the pond I went.....stayed a couple of hours.  Rods were a Abu 5600 C4 with 15 lb ande on a 7' rod and a Shimano 3500 Baitrunner on a short 6' ugly stik loaded with the same 15 lb ande.  These are what I call by "light" cat rods.

Had 3 hits but only one hookup which was this bad boy . A 13 lber!



Then a couple of days later I took my son and a freind of his Thomas.

This time I also had no cutbait but I had gone by Foodlion and picked up some White Bass fillets.  These I cut into strips and soaked in Garlic juice. 

Here is our first hit.

A 16 lb 4 oz monster

Thomas then caught a 9.5 lber 

 A good night fishing and the boys had a great time.....I will have to hit up a few more local ponds as most around here are loaded with Channels......Thanks Mack

6 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Wow Mack, that cat is huge. It was only 15lbs?

Mack said...

13lbs even....looks bigger than sons 16lber but it isnt....his pic doesnt do that fish justice, it was a monster....Mack

Toba said...

I love the look on your son's face in these photos.

Fish Whisperer said...

nice channel cats!

fishincary said...

Awsome fish man! Always a joy to see you catch big fish cuz ur one guy i know throws them back!

Unknown said...

Nice cats Mack