Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bowfin Slayer

Went to the Neuse Saturday June 4th in search of some Bream and Catfish.  My son wanted to take a freind so Nathan was our  fishing partner for today. We arrived at the ramp at aprox 3pm and made way to our bream hole.

Nathan and Mack caught lots of Bream on crickets with a few good ones caught. Not nearly as many big ones as last time but we were fishing for bait so smaller ones are ok as the bigger bream were released.
















I had told Mack that the cat bite may be slow this evening as the cats are spawning so he decided that he wanted to fish for Bowfin while we were Bream fishing. I put out 1 rod (shimano 3500 Baitrunner w/15lb line on a 6 ft ugly stik) for Bowfin using cutbait on the bottom. You can see this rig on my post about catching catfish out of canoes. This rig with cutbait is a proven catcher of Bowfin.

Here is a video of the first Bowfin of the day



He caught 2 that size. Here is a picture of his other big one. Hard fighters!

After dark we set up on 3 different catfish spots but no hookups.  We all had a blast as we saw lots of wildlife and even had a fawn swim by us. We packed up and headed home at 11:30pm.

2 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Wow, nice fish! I'd love to catch one of those.

Feather Chucker said...

Nice report Mack, I'd love to catch one of those on a fly rod. Still looking for my first.