Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Roanoke River Float 6/9/12

Floated the Roanoke River with Jeff, Todd, and Todd's son Josh. We launched at 7 am and ended our float at  aprox 3pm. Our quarry today would be mainly Bass, Stripers and some panfish, though we saw lots of big carp and gar. 3 Bald Eagles also were seen throughout the float as they kept going downstream from us as well as a  couple of ospreys, 1 muskrat and the usual herons and kingfishers.
My main bait today would be a white spinnerbait, a 3 inch grub and a 3 inch grub under a popping cork for the stripers.
I caught aprox 12 bass on the spinnerbait , 1 on a 1/32 oz beetlespin(the biggest at 2 1/2 lbs) and several on the grub. I caught only 2 stripers on the popping cork set up though I could have caught more but they were small stripers hitting today. I also fished for Redbreast fairly hard after Jeff caught a big one and landed about 10 of them with 4 or 5 of them being of good size. Jeff caught about the same as I did with a lot of small bass but it was a fun day on the water with the hightlight being todd's son catching a nice striper right at the end.  I took a lot of pictures so following is some of them.
Caught on Popping Cork rig pictured above
I heard a big splash and looked over and Jeff was falling out of his canoe! Wish I had that on video!
Jeff and a nice Redbreast.
After Jeff caught that nice Redbreast I switched to a small beetle and caught the biggest bass of the day! I had to go to the bigger grubs to get the redbreast to bite.
No lunkers caught today but the picture below is what it is all about. He is hooked! 
Right at the takeout after a nice float.

A video of me running some rapids.
Mack

No comments: