Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Sunday Haw River White Bass Fishing

What would I fish for today?....After a little thought I decided to see if I could catch my first white bass of the year, so I headed to The Haw River to get in on the White Bass Run.  I arrived at the ramp at aprox 4 pm and paddled to one of my spots. I immediately caught 1 and she  happened to also be the biggest of the day. She hit a chartreuse grub fished real sloooooowww. The hits were very few and far between. I ended up with ~12 whites for the day  and 5 redbreast and 1 bream.

Boat used - Old Town 158
Lures mainly used- Rooster tail and curly tail grub
Water Temp- 64 deg

Here is the first of the day



Some others


I only caught a few on the curly tail jig. I caught most white bass today  on the red and white Roostertail.
I would of had a very poor day catch wise if I had not had that Roostertail. I also threw a pop r some but only had 2 hits on it. Here is a look at the 2 most productive lures today.

A nice Easter Sunday on the water. Wildlife seen today was a lot of Ducks and Geese, 1 Osprey, 1 Bald Eagle ,and lots of Turtles sunning.  For more White Bass info see  http://mackinncblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/pennys-bend-white-bass-32411.html
 Mack

2 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Nice to hear the fish are still around.

Fish Whisperer said...

Wish I would have talked to you earlier in the day. I would have been better off trying to catch white bass yesterday.