Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Smallie Time on the Yadkin

Jeff (Fishwhisperer) called me Thursday and asked was I up for a Sunday Float (4/15/12) on the Yadkin river for Smallmouth Bass ......I said count me in!....We would be meeting up with Catawba, Mookie and Tread to do this all day float and shuttle.
The day started off cool with a water temp of 58 degrees. I immediately started throwing a Chartreuse Spinnerbait and every once in a while I was using a 3in tube....By midday I had a total of 1 hit.
 Way downriver I ran into Catawba and he was catching them on white grubs.  HMMM ..White?...I ain't the smartest kid but mama didn't raise a dummie either. If they wanted white I would give them white. I immediately cut off my 3/8 ox chartreuse spinnerbait and also downsized. I put a white 1/4 oz spinnerbait on and the hits came right away.  Here is my first smallie of 2012. 
Catawba in his fine 119
Here was a nice site on the river.
Another white spinnerbait smallie
By now the water temp had risen to 62 deg-

A fish that kinda surprised me. She didn't fight that hard at first and I thought I had a 12 incher on but at the sight of my 119 she went ballistic. Last year on another flow I lost a couple of 20 plus inchers but this is my best smallie since 2010 going 18.5 inches.

The lone spot i caugth on the trip. Don't say it. I know I look way goofy in this picture


The bait that saved the day.....




That is Mookie leaning on my canoe. Nice guy. Jeff is in the background laughing because he knows I am particular or is that peculair? or is it both? about my canoes and I was worried it would fall out on the drive back to the put in.

It was great day on the river surrounded by some of North Carolina's best  fishermen. It was nice meeting Tread and Mookie , and to see Catawba again( I had met Catawba a few years Back)..... I am pretty sure everyone caught more than me but I redeemed myself and after switching baits I picked up 7 smallies , 2 going 14, the 18.5 incher and a 13 inch spot....A big thanks to Catawba for doing the shuttle and to Jeff for driving back.......A good time on the water with Great fishermen. Mack

#yadkinriver
#smallmouthbass

No comments: