Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring River Smallies on the Dan River

I had (have) Smallie fever since going to the Yadkin the other day. I had plans to go to a certain Piedmont river 4.17.12 but after checking the gages I decided to drive a little farther. I arrived at the launch site  on the Dan River at 4 pm and took out at dark. The water looked perfect and a quick reading showed a temp of 70 degrees. Wow! The Yadkin 2 days ago was only 62 deg. See  http://mackinncblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/smallie-time.html
A goose had a nest in the debris  piled up under a bridge.

                          
The Smallies on the Yadkin last trip would not hit my usual go to lure of a Chartreuse spinnerbait and I had to switch to white. So, on this outing I started off with white.  No hits.  I put the chartreuse spinnerbait back on and the hits came immediately.  The lure of choice today was a Booyah Blade 3/8 oz Chartreuse Spinnerbait. First a little guy.

Then this nice colored Smallie
The big one for the day going 18 inches. She was a fighter.
Not Bad. 2 smallies 18 plus inches in 2 days.
The surprise of the day. I have caught these here but not on a spinnerbait.

I caught ~10 smallies and the lone white bass. All caught on the spinnerbait except 1 smallie on a tube. I had the 18 incher. 2 right at 16 (bad pics) couple at 14 inches and the rest smaller. A very decent 4 hours on the water. Note:  A look at my last smallie outing and  I was not wearing a life jacket last outing. This outing I had my life jacket on from the get go as the water was very swift. Evidently the upstream dam is letting water out. Also, the last outing I was surrounded by 4 other  canoers and yakers and I was alone on this trip. Always use common sense on the water . Tight lines Mack

#danriver
#smallmouthbass

No comments: