Thursday, April 25, 2013

Blues, Flatheads, Monster Brown Water Snakes and my new Squirrel (fishing) dog Pete

Thursday the 18th of April  I went to one of my favorites spots down east. This would be a special day even if I did not catch anything as I was taking my new Squirrel dog 'Pete" on a boat for the first time. Pete did extremely well which my wife said he wouldnt. Told ya so!...We started off trolling for Stripers and mananged a 12 incher right away but it was not going to be a good day for trolling as the oaks were putting off these tassle things that kept fouling the line. 
We then proceeeded to bream and bass fish and just like the other day the small bass were wearing out the Mepps Black Fury.The  Problem was not many bream were hitting it  and they were also not hitting crickets in the usual spots. We finally managed to catch a few for cut bait and since I had to leave at dark we motored to a spot to set out 2 lines. Right before this spot I look on this tree laying in the water and golly there is this one huge Brown water snake   Anyway we anchor up and I put a bream head on one and the next slice on the other rod. 5 minutes later one rod is bending like crazy!. I reel hard and get in a 15 lb flat head. No monster but I will take him. 1 hr later the other rod is bending and I reel in an 11 lb blue. No monster again but I am not complaining with catching fish.

Pete was loving every minute of this. A good day on the water. Mack

Caught quite a few small bass and a few bream on the Mepps Black Fury size 1.


Nice big ole Brown Water Snake!

15lb Flathead caught on Bream head
11lb Blue Cat caught on bream cutbait
A view of how I set my rods in the holder.

Pete on the way back to the ramp.




5 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Good day! I'd say a 15lb flat head is a dang good fish.

Big Paul said...

Looks like you had grate day.
http://doughbal.blogspot.com/

Mack said...

Thanks for the comments.....Mack

Capt. Marty said...

Love this blog. Makes me want to give up the coast and head for the creeks and streams ... Anyway, I am a reader and it flicks my switch and not a lot of fishing literature in any format interests me . Keep up the great work

Capt Marty at fishtopwatercharters@blogspot.com

Mack said...

Tks Capt. Marty!