Sunday, April 7, 2013

Eastern NC Lake Bassin

Blackwater Pond Bass

4/5/2013...My son had the week off for spring break . I Only had Thursday and Friday off and Thursday the weather was terrible so that left Friday to take my son fishing. Where would I take him? Eno River white bass came to mind as I have been catching a few there but, according to usgs it was high. The Neuse ? that is our favorite spot but USGS had it up in wake and Johnston co with our area soon to be hit. I decided to take him to a very out of the way lake that is a good 2 miles off the main road for some bass fishing. I knew the water wouldn't be muddy as this is a black water lake fed by a small blackwater creek.

The lake is in an area that has plenty of Fox Squirrels and Red Cockaded Woodpeckers or RCW"S as a lot of people call them. 2 white rings around a tree denotes the location of a nest. These are endangered birds so you must not get near their nest.  Note: picture of cavity tree was taken with a zoom lens.





We arrived at aprx 230 pm and immediately our spinnerbaits were being smashed by eager bass. No monsters but a couple of 3 lbers with most being 1.5 - 2 lbs. White was a good color but my big bass bait the ole Black double copper spinnerbait was getting the most hits. The bite died at 430 or so when the sun really came out. We only managed a few after that.

Wildlife seen today was a Kingfisher, a Great Blue Heron, Geese, and 1 Beaver
Air Temp 64 degrees

Water Temp 59 deg

Boat- Coleman Scanoe powered by Motor guide

My outfit was a 7 ft MH with 50 lb braid (cause of trees)

His outfit Saros 3000 Spinning reel on Med rod with 30 lb braid

Baits Used- Spinnerbaits, Both Booya's  White 3/8th and a Black Booya Tux and Tails

Get them here-  white  https://amzn.to/3VAmGHo
Black Tux and Tails    https://amzn.to/3EUefzN

Here are a few pics of the Bass and Lake












Note - A Black Spinnerbait with Hammered double blades is one of my favorite Big bass baits and is also my favorite in "Blackwater" Lakes and Rivers.........Mack

#bass
#bassfishing
#colemanscanoe

1 comment:

Feather Chucker said...

I fished the Neuse yesterday. You didn't miss anything. I had the same experience I had the last time I fished there. Caught a crappie on my second cast then didn't catch anything the rest of the time. I stopped after about an hour and a half. There were more people than I have ever seen on the river. I seemed to be the only one fishing for shad. I didn't realize the river was high until I got there. Usually the river is flowing at the same level no matter how much rain we've had. It's going at a good 1000cfs rights. I might try again one night this week. Holler at me if you want to fish together. I think I found "thee" spot. I talked to a wild life biologist who's been doing surveys and he's confirmed where I'm tyring is a good place.