Saturday, April 5, 2014

The 2014 White Bass Run is ON!!

 I made two trips this week for white bass.  The first was on Wednesday April the 2 from 5pm till 730 pm.   I launched my Old Town 158 and I trolled a jig while heading upriver.  I hooked 1 nice white and continued upstream to one of my favorite spots.   I arrived there and caught a couple but nothing like I expected though I did catch a 5 lb bowfin on a jig.  I then trolled back down and caught another fish in the same spot as before so I anchored .  The bite here was on.  Most whites caught on a mini-spot but I did catch some on a curly tail jig .  I caught aprox 25 whites , 5 crappie, 6 Stripers and 3 perch.  The water temp was a nice 61 degrees with the air temp in the 80's.  
I saw several Bald Eagles , Herons and some Pileated Woodpeckers. 

A few Pics-





Fast forward to Friday April the 4th and I decided to go to this same spot but instead of a PM trip I chose an AM trip. I launched the Old Town 158  at 7 am and went to where I caught them the other day.
Nothing!!!..I headed to another spot and caught a few but it was slow.  I then headed back down to the good spot and they were biting.  I caught aprox 30 white bass, 3 stripers, 3 crappie and 3 perch along with 1 small largemouth.  I good morning on the water.  I left at 1130 and had a nice day catching fish and seeing  eagles, ducks and a few Hawks. 

Here are a few pictures of the fish-




And here are the lures I used today.  These lures will catch any white bass.  
 Starting at 12 and going clockwise - Mini-trap(the most productive lure this week), #2 Blue Fox spinner, Gotcha curlytail grub on 1/16 oz jighead,  5 in Swimmin Fluke on 1/4 oz jighead(this caught the biggest white),  Chartreuse Roadrunner, and a Cordell Mini Spot.

Thanks Mack...........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice job Mack...I live in Kernersville NC and wanted to know how much you'd share about where you were to catch that good bag of fish! Thanks...MisterB